Israeli forces intercept Gaza-bound Global Sumud Flotilla, detain activists
Israeli forces intercepted and boarded the Gaza-bound Global Sumud humanitarian flotilla in international waters on Monday, detaining around 100 activists as the convoy attempted to challenge Israel’s blockade on Gaza.
Live broadcasts showed Israeli naval forces boarding vessels one after another, while organizers said contact had been lost with 23 boats in the convoy. Israeli media reported detainees were being transferred to a navy vessel before being taken to the port of Ashdod.
The flotilla, made up of more than 50 boats, departed from the Turkish coastal district of Marmaris on Thursday carrying humanitarian aid, including baby formula and medical supplies, along with 426 participants from 39 countries.
Activists demand “Safe passage”
Following the interception, organizers accused Israel of carrying out “illegal acts of piracy” and demanded safe passage for what they described as a peaceful humanitarian mission.
“We are on high alert as we continue towards Gaza. We refuse to be intimidated,” the flotilla said before the raid.
Under international maritime law, ships operating in international waters are generally protected under the principle of freedom of navigation.
Irish President’s sister among detainees
Irish media reported that Margaret Connolly, sister of Irish President Catherine Connolly, was among at least six Irish citizens detained during the operation.
In a pre-recorded video released before the interception, Connolly said: “If you are watching this video, it means I have been kidnapped from my boat in the flotilla by the Israeli occupying forces.”
Journalist says mission aimed to break “Wall of Silence”
Italian journalist Alessandro Mantovani, who joined the flotilla aboard the vessel Kasr-i Sadabad, said the mission sought both to challenge the blockade and draw attention to the humanitarian situation in Gaza.
“We have to back this mission to try to break the siege in Gaza and also the wall of silence in Europe,” he said before the interception.
The latest raid follows previous Israeli interceptions of Gaza-bound aid flotillas, including operations near Crete in April and another mission in August 2025.
Source:AA