Iran-US talks intensify as Trump rejects uranium concessions

World
Fri, 22 May 2026 5:47 GMT
Indirect talks between Iran and the United States continued on Friday with Pakistan acting as mediator, as efforts persisted to secure a broader framework agreement between Tehran and Washington.
Iran-US talks intensify as Trump rejects uranium concessions

Iran’s semi-official ISNA news agency reported that Pakistani Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi remained in Tehran for further consultations after delivering messages from the US side to senior Iranian officials, including President Masoud Pezeshkian and Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi.

According to ISNA, negotiations remain focused on unresolved disputes surrounding Iran’s nuclear program. Tehran is seeking separate negotiations on enriched uranium and other nuclear matters after a permanent ceasefire is reached, while Washington wants the issue settled beforehand.

Trump rules out enriched uranium deal

Speaking at the White House on Thursday, US President Donald Trump said Washington would not permit Iran to retain highly enriched uranium under any future agreement.

“We’re going to get it one way or the other. They’re not going to have a nuclear weapon,” Trump told reporters.

Trump also rejected the idea of tolls on shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, calling it “an international waterway,” amid reports that Iran and Oman are discussing a potential fee-based system linked to maritime services in the strategic passage.

The US president further claimed that Washington’s blockade measures in the region had been “100% effective,” saying the United States maintained “total control” over the Strait of Hormuz.

Rubio sees ‘Good Signs’ but warns of alternatives

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said there were “good signs” in the ongoing negotiations and acknowledged that some progress had been achieved, though he cautioned against excessive optimism.

“If we can get a good deal done, that would be great,” Rubio said. “But if we can’t get a good deal, the president’s been clear; he has other options.”

Rubio added that diplomacy remained Trump’s preferred course of action.

Regional tensions remain high

Tensions in the region have remained elevated since US and Israeli strikes on Iran in February triggered retaliatory attacks by Tehran against Israel and US allies in the Gulf, along with disruptions to shipping in the Strait of Hormuz.

A ceasefire brokered by Pakistan took effect on April 8, but subsequent talks in Islamabad failed to secure a lasting settlement.

Source:AA

Related News

MILLET MEDIA OE.
BİLAL BUDUR & CENGİZ ÖMER KOLLEKTİF ŞİRKETİ.
Address: Miaouli 7-9, Xanthi 67100, GREECE.
Tel: +30 25410 77968.
Email: info@milletgazetesi.gr.