Portugal Catholic clergy abused nearly 5,000 children over 70 years
"(We want) to pay a sincere tribute to those who were abuse victims during their childhood and dared to give a voice to silence," said child psychiatrist Pedro Strecht, who headed the commission. "They are much more than a statistic."
Most perpetrators (77%) were priests and most of the victims were men, Strecht said, adding that they were abused in Catholic schools, churches, priests' homes, and confessionals, among other locations.
Jose Ornelas, head of the Bishops' Conference, attended the final report's presentation and will respond to it later on Monday. The Church has previously said it was prepared to "take appropriate measures."
The Portuguese Catholic Church was rocked last year by cases of an alleged cover-up of sexual abuse, including by bishops who remain active in church roles. The commission said it was preparing a list of accused priests still working.
The abuse allegations have come from people from various backgrounds, from every region of the country and also from Portuguese nationals living in other countries in Europe, Africa and the Americas.
A total of 25 of the testimonies heard by the commission were sent to the public prosecutor's office for investigation as all others were committed over 20 years ago and legal proceedings can no longer be initiated.
The commission said the law should be changed so legal proceedings can be initiated for historic crimes committed 30 years ago.