Israeli minister draws backlash over Gaza killing remarks

World
Tue, 18 Aug 2026 5:57 GMT
Far-right Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir has faced renewed international condemnation after calling for intensified Israeli airstrikes on Gaza and saying that 30 to 40 Palestinians should be killed every night.
Israeli minister draws backlash over Gaza killing remarks

Far-right Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir has faced renewed international condemnation after calling for intensified Israeli airstrikes on Gaza and saying that 30 to 40 Palestinians should be killed every night.

Ben-Gvir, leader of the Jewish Power party, made the comments in an interview on the “October 8” podcast hosted by former Israeli prisoner Rom Braslavski. The remarks were reported by the Jerusalem Post.

Ben-Gvir said Israeli attacks should not be restricted to Palestinians posing an immediate threat, advocating strikes across the Gaza Strip. He also described some Palestinians as “not worthy of life” and called for the killing of a woman who had provided food to Braslavski during his captivity.

He further renewed his call for Israeli settlements to be established throughout Gaza, saying he viewed the entire territory as belonging to Israel. He also called for as much Palestinian emigration from Gaza as possible.

Ben-Gvir said Palestinians held in Israeli prisons should continue to face harsh conditions and called for Israeli rights groups supporting coexistence between Palestinians and Israelis to be outlawed.

Berlin calls for action

Jürgen Hardt, foreign policy spokesman for Germany’s governing CDU/CSU parliamentary group, urged the European Union to sanction Ben-Gvir over the remarks.

“Ben-Gvir’s dehumanizing statements can only be condemned by everyone,” Hardt told Politico, arguing that sanctions would demonstrate the universal importance of human dignity and human rights.

Several countries have previously imposed sanctions on Ben-Gvir over accusations of inciting violence against Palestinians. EU action has been discussed but has faced political obstacles, including the requirement for unanimity among member states.

Hardt also said that an Israeli government without Ben-Gvir could help improve relations between Israel and Europe.

US lawmaker demands protection for West Bank Palestinians

US House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries separately called on the Trump administration to pressure Israel to protect Palestinian civilians in the occupied West Bank amid increasing violence by Israeli settlers.

“The ongoing siege of Palestinian homes in the West Bank by violent, lawbreaking settlers is unacceptable. Enough,” Jeffries said on X.

He urged the US administration to compel the Israeli government to protect the lives, property and livelihoods of Palestinian civilians.

The UN has warned that settler violence in the West Bank has reached unprecedented levels. It said it had documented more than 1,430 attacks against about 260 Palestinian communities since the beginning of the year, with demolitions and evictions contributing to the displacement of about 3,800 Palestinians, nearly half of them children.

Palestinian figures cited in the report say Israeli forces and settlers have killed more than 1,183 Palestinians, injured about 13,000 and arrested nearly 25,000 in the West Bank since the Gaza war began in October 2023.

Erdogan and Trump discuss Gaza and Iran

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and US President Donald Trump discussed Gaza, Iran and bilateral relations during a phone call on Monday, according to Türkiye’s Communications Directorate.

Erdogan stressed the importance of making maximum use of diplomacy amid tensions between Washington and Tehran and expressed hope that negotiations would continue. He said Türkiye would maintain its support for peace efforts.

On Gaza, Erdogan said Israeli actions against Palestinians had increased as efforts focused on moving toward the second phase of the peace process.

He also reaffirmed Türkiye’s support for lasting regional peace and the reconstruction of Gaza.

UN warns of rising tensions in southern Lebanon

The United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon, or UNIFIL, reported a sharp increase in Israeli military activity in southern Lebanon over the past two weeks, warning that civilians were once again bearing the brunt of the escalation.

UNIFIL recorded an average of 137 projectiles a day between August 5 and 16, including 208 on Saturday and 185 on Sunday.

The force said growing insecurity had displaced families and disrupted daily life, while its peacekeepers continued patrols, monitoring operations, road clearance and efforts to reduce risks from unexploded ordnance.

UNIFIL said UN Security Council Resolution 1701 remained the central framework for restoring stability in southern Lebanon.

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun has backed extending UNIFIL’s mandate, which is due to expire at the end of 2026, and maintaining an international presence in the south.

The latest tensions come as Beirut and Tel Aviv work under a framework agreement signed on June 26 that calls for a gradual Israeli withdrawal from occupied Lebanese territory and the deployment of the Lebanese army in areas vacated by Israeli forces. The agreement also calls for the disarmament of armed groups, including Hezbollah.

Israeli forces remain in several areas of southern Lebanon. According to the figures cited in the report, repeated Israeli attacks since March 2 have killed 4,346 people, including 11 people killed in two airstrikes on Saturday.

Related News

MILLET MEDIA OE.
BİLAL BUDUR & CENGİZ ÖMER KOLLEKTİF ŞİRKETİ.
Address: Miaouli 7-9, Xanthi 67100, GREECE.
Tel: +30 25410 77968.
Email: info@milletgazetesi.gr.