NATO reaffirms support for Bulgaria amid Iran concerns
NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte reaffirmed the alliance’s support for Bulgaria and its readiness to respond to threats against member states during a phone call with Bulgarian Prime Minister Rumen Radev on Thursday, Bulgaria’s state news agency BTA reported.
The two leaders discussed Europe’s security environment, with particular focus on concerns over possible aggressive action by Iran, according to a statement from Bulgaria’s Council of Ministers.
Rutte said NATO had full support for Bulgaria and that the alliance’s forces and defense capabilities in the region were prepared to respond to and neutralize any threat to member states.
Missile interceptions cited
Rutte pointed to the recent interception of ballistic missiles heading toward Türkiye as evidence of NATO’s readiness to protect its members.
The Bulgarian government said any attack on a NATO member would be treated as an attack against the alliance, triggering measures under the North Atlantic Treaty.
The call came after a Financial Times report that Iranian forces had assessed the possibility of striking US military assets in Bulgaria, citing two people close to the Iranian regime.
Security tightened at air base
Bulgarian authorities have reportedly increased security at Bezmer Air Base, which had been approved for use by US refueling aircraft.
Officials, however, said there was no direct threat to Bulgaria’s national security.
The developments come amid heightened regional security concerns and growing scrutiny of potential Iranian threats to US and allied military assets.
Source:AA